Saturday, September 22, 2018

Mars Hill -- The Areopagus

Of all the places there are to visit in Athens, this was the top of my list. I actually knew very little about it historically, and I had no idea what to expect. However, I have read Paul's sermon in Acts 17 many times and, especially after getting my fill of the mythology of pagan gods, I wanted to set my feet there, where Paul had spoken the Truth with great courage, yet in a way that engaged his listeners.
Mars Hill (Areopagus) photo taken from the Acropolis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areopagus#/media/File:Areopagus_hill.jpg
In classical times, this rock mass functioned as the place where court matters were settled--the sentencing of murderers and the settling of religious disputes. It was also known as a spot where someone could stand and speak out on the issues of society...hence Paul's speaking about the identity of the "unknown God."

I have never been a person who longs to go to Israel to walk in the "footsteps" of Jesus. Not that I wouldn't enjoy going, but I have not felt an emotional drawing or connection that many others I know feel. Having said that I can only explain my experience with Mars Hill as the movement of the Spirit in my life.

Jeshua had spoken to our tour guide about our wanting to go to Mars Hill and she had said that it would be easy to fit it in after coming down from the Acropolis. So we walked down to the meeting spot and asked her for directions. She pointed down a wide marble expanse and we headed off. It literally is just down the hill and around to the northwest of the Acropolis...not far at all. 

It really is just a huge rock!
Three things to notice about the above picture that I will refer to: 1) to the far left you can see a set of large steps that lead to the top; 2) just left of the center you can see two steps that lead to the steps that are actually carved into the rock itself--and some folks going up who disappear behind the trees and a few emerging at the top; and 3) the large plaque inlaid in a stone wall on the right hand side of the photo.

When we arrived to the view you see above, it took me aback. I don't know what I was expecting, but there's really not much to it, is there? When I stopped to take the picture, I thought, "Okay, I guess I've seen it." The choir kids were ahead of us and were already moving up the stone stairs. I told Jeshua to go ahead up...that I may or may not make the climb. 
Jeshua almost to the top.

I was tired. I'd taken plenty of Advil that morning to prepare for the hike up to the Parthenon, and I thankfully did okay. But it is tense walking when the ground is slippery and/or hole pocked...and being determined not to slow down the group too much. 😎 And now Mars Hill looked like a bit of a letdown...just a big rocky hill. 

The bronze plaque are the words of Paul from Acts 17:22-31.
It's all Greek to me!!

Standing there in the open area, I realized that, oddly enough, I was pretty much by myself--no one was close by. I started thinking about the courage it must have taken Paul to speak out in a way that ran against the current of the times. From Mars Hill you could easily see the temples of the Acropolis and one phrase from Paul's sermon came to mind...(my paraphrase) "that God--the creator of the whole universe--does not live in temples made with hands."  As I stood there, I suddenly felt as though Paul was standing beside me, his arm on my shoulder. And "we" simply stood there...a few tears overflowing on my part.

The next thing I knew, the decision was made. I was going up! I walked over and went up a few of the rock stairs and knew I could not climb them--they were varying heights, no railing to hold on to, lots of loose stone/dirt. It was then that I saw some folks coming down those steps at the left...I had not seen them before...and I went over and up...slow, but up.

Almost to the top.
Jeshua and the choir kids were gathering to sing and as I stepped off the stairs, I could hear their voices...the Truth again being proclaimed in this place as it had been in the first century.
I didn't wander too far from the steps...you needed the surefootedness of a mountain goat! Looking at the top of the photo, you can see how close it is to the Acropolis.
 But I enjoyed the singing and felt the worship of the moment...and took a picture of the view.
The view of modern Athens from Mars Hill.
I'm so glad I went up, but even more so I'm thankful for the moments with Paul--whether for "real" or in the Spirit--I can't explain the experience. I just know it was real for me!

The next day I would again follow in Paul's footsteps as the plan was to go to Corinth. I was looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment