Saturday, August 4, 2018

A Sunset Concert and My Birthday! Part 2

Each of the four choral groups had their own program. Somehow I missed taking a picture of the Presbyterian group from Indianapolis. They closed with a beautiful arrangement of When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.

The Arizona kids did a great job...again ending with Let There Be Peace on Earth. Very touching and much cheered by the audience.

 VOT was great! Such good acoustics!
Jeshua works and directs them, but when they perform, they do it without him. Makes them distinctive, I think.
They closed with (When the Storms of Life Are Raging) Stand By Me. I don't know if they had decided ahead of time or whether it was spontaneous, but they took hands as they started to sing that last song. Gave me chills!

The Louisiana and North Carolina combined group ended the evening with their crowd pleasing closer, On That Great Getting Up Morning, a wonderful spiritual!

While we were inside, darkness had descended and my close up of the Church of the Resurrection had a different color palette.
It had been my birthday all day 😍 and I had lots of birthday greetings as the word went though the larger choir group. Jeshua planned to take me out to dinner to the one actual Italian cafe in town...of course, it was at the far end of the harbor, so a good walk. The tables were full, but there was a spot for two down toward the end, so we gratefully sat down. 

A young man and his dad were sitting at the other end and they were talking in Greek to the server. Once the server was gone they reverted to English. We kind of minded our own end of the table, but I wondered where they were from. 

Our server came and brought us water and bread along with a good herb seasoned butter.
 We had some yummy little bruschetta along with some "grilled" cheese. I ordered a pesto/garlic/pine nut with penne pasta...which turned out to be beyond yummy! I could only eat half, so I took it back to the hotel, put it in our little room fridge and had the rest for lunch the next day!
Happy 65th Birthday to Me!!
Who would have ever predicted that I would be spending my 65th birthday with my youngest son in GREECE!! Oh my!! The Lord's blessings are amazing!!
So we are sitting there and I see a little commotion out of the corner of my eye. I look up...and there is VOT on the sidewalk before our table! They sang Happy Birthday to me in all their harmonious glory!! What fun!!

That got the dad and son talking to us...they are from West Palm Beach, Florida and spend part of every summer in Greece. They were quite impressed with VOT--of course!--and were interested in why we were there. Fun to visit with them a little.

The servers were very slow to get our bill to us due to a problem with either their hardware or the program that prints them. So they brought us dessert on the house! Quite yummy. By the time we left, we were too full for gelato! Imagine that!

And for my final birthday delight, we took a cab home! No harbor walk for me that night! I'm sure if Ecclesiastes were being written today, it would also say "a time to walk, and a time to ride!"

2 comments:

  1. What aN adventure !!
    Lucky you...
    Were y close to where the fires broke out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were in Athens with one about 30 miles to the east and another about 30 miles to the west. I'll get to telling about them in my blog eventually! :)

      Delete